We have gathered a collection of frequently asked questions and their corresponding responses from individuals who receive or are in need of a grant. These questions were posted in the comments section of our article titled “Everything you need to know about social grants”

Am I eligible for a social grant?

Eligibility for a social grant depends on various factors such as age, disability, income level, and specific circumstances. To determine your eligibility, you can contact your nearest SASSA office or visit their website for detailed information on the eligibility criteria for different social grants.

Does SASSA provide loans?

No, SASSA does not provide loans. SASSA’s primary function is to administer and distribute social grants to eligible individuals based on specific criteria. If you are in need of financial assistance beyond social grants, it is advisable to explore other avenues such as financial institutions or government programs that offer loans.

How do I apply?

To apply for a social grant, you need to visit your nearest SASSA office and complete the necessary application forms. The SASSA officials will guide you through the application process and inform you of the required documentation. It is important to provide accurate and complete information to ensure a smooth application process.

My application for a grant has been denied. What do I do?

If your application for a grant has been denied, you have the right to request a grant review. This involves submitting an appeal or reconsideration letter to SASSA, explaining your situation, and providing any additional supporting documents or evidence. The grant review process allows for a reassessment of your application, taking into account any new information provided.

What is a grant review?

A grant review is a process that allows applicants who have been denied a social grant to request a reassessment of their application. It involves submitting an appeal or reconsideration letter to SASSA, along with supporting documentation, to provide further information and clarification regarding the applicant’s eligibility. The grant review process aims to ensure fair consideration of all relevant factors.

I have lost my card, what do I do?

If you have lost your SASSA card, it is important to report the loss immediately. Contact your nearest SASSA office or the SASSA helpline to inform them about the lost card. They will guide you through the necessary steps to block the lost card and issue a replacement. It is crucial to report the loss as soon as possible to prevent unauthorized access to your benefits.

What conditions qualify for a disability grant?

Disability grants are provided to individuals who have a permanent disability that affects their ability to work and earn a living. The specific conditions that qualify for a disability grant may vary, but generally, it includes physical disabilities, mental disabilities, chronic illnesses, and other impairments that substantially limit daily functioning. It is recommended to consult with SASSA or refer to their website for detailed information on the qualifying conditions.

If I move to another province, do I need to re-apply for my grant or can I have it transferred?

If you move to another province within South Africa, you do not need to reapply for your grant. You can visit the nearest SASSA office in your new province and request a transfer of your grant. They will assist you in updating your information and transferring your grant to the appropriate office in the new province, ensuring that you continue to receive your benefits without interruption.

I have a serious problem with my SASSA grant and I have struggled to get help or information from SASSA. What do I do now?

If you are experiencing difficulties or have not received satisfactory assistance from SASSA regarding your grant, it is advisable to escalate the issue. You can try contacting the SASSA regional or head office, as they may be able to provide further guidance or intervention. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from relevant advocacy organizations or social workers who can support you in resolving the issue.

How do I arrange for a home visit for a person who is too sick or disabled to be assessed for a disability grant in person?

If the person is unable to visit a SASSA office due to sickness or disability, you can contact your nearest SASSA office and explain the situation. They will guide you through the process of arranging a home visit by a SASSA representative who can assess the person’s eligibility for a disability grant at their place of residence. Providing medical documentation or supporting evidence of the person’s condition may be required.

How do I cancel the grant of a deceased beneficiary?

To cancel the grant of a deceased beneficiary, you need to inform SASSA about the beneficiary’s passing. Contact your nearest SASSA office or the SASSA helpline and provide them with the necessary details and documentation, such as the death certificate. SASSA will guide you through the cancellation process and ensure that the grant is discontinued appropriately.

I am the main caregiver of a child, but the money is being paid to the mother or another person who is not living with her and is not using the money to support the child. What do I do?

If you are the primary caregiver of a child and believe that the grant money is not being used for the child’s benefit, you can report the situation to SASSA. Contact your nearest SASSA office or the SASSA helpline and explain the circumstances. Provide any relevant evidence or information that supports your claim. SASSA will investigate the matter and take appropriate action to ensure that the grant is utilized for the child’s welfare and best interests.

If you encounter a situation where the person receiving the money from SASSA is unwilling to use it to support the child, it is important to take action. In such cases, you should report the individual to SASSA. You can do so by contacting the fraud hotline at 0800 60 10 11.